Friday, March 11, 2005

£!

Well, the value of the dollar keeps falling and I find myself going to the ATM ("cash point" in British) very frequently, since that's the only way I can get money out of the states. I can't set up a bank account here without some kind of proof-of-address, and I won't have that for another few weeks. That is, assuming I can ever find a place to live.

It's weird to have to conduct every single transaction with cash. I can't remember the last time I lived like this, but it was probably when I was about 18 years old. You definitely feel that money leaving your hands. And what money it is! Every coin and every bill have a picture of the queen on the front. They've all got different pictures on the back. One is Charles Darwin. That's a big difference between the US and UK right there. In the US, they're still arguing about whether Darwin should be taught in school. In Cambridge, Darwin is a school - Darwin College, which is part of the University.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home